With the difficulties around in person training including limited indoor gatherings, several groups are offering online options to help prepare summer day camp staff for their work this summer.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic and the need to ensure that staff are prepared when programs open once again, HIGH FIVE® National will be introducing PHCD-C, an online version of Principles of Healthy Child Development, which will be available during the COVID period only.
This training will allow staff to access a 2 hour on demand recorded training, led by a Master Trainer, in a timely and accessible way. Online resources, as well the access to the Healthy Minds for Healthy Children online training, will accompany the training to create a fulsome experience for staff.
The cost will be $30 per person. More information will be available in early June regarding ordering and accessing training.
Other Training Opportunities
As we adjust to a different look and feel to day camp, the British Columbia Recreation & Parks Association has developed a series of online courses to help your staff refresh their skills and get ready for summer.
The courses are still being finalized but the topics will be:
- Physically Distanced Camps: Stay safe while keeping connected and having fun
- Transitions between Activities with Ease
- Physical Literacy & How to Teach It
- Lost Child – Supervision Strategies
- Communication: Having difficult conversations with kids and talking to parents
- Teaching a Themed Camp: Make yours the one they talk about
- Sensory-Friendly Strategies for Supporting Behaviour & Setting Up Your Outdoor Camp for Success
All courses will be available mid-June on the BCRPA E-Learning website. Fees will be $20 for members, and $25 for non-members. You may also request one invoice for your staff complement, so your staff do not have to pay individually.
BCRPA has generously offered a discount coupon for our members. Please contact info @ recreationpei.ca to receive it.