“Physical literacy is the motivation, confidence, physical competence, knowledge, and understanding to value and take responsibility for engagement in physical activities for life.” – The International Physical Literacy Association, May 2014
Physical Literacy Micro-Grants have been awarded to the following organization for 2020-2021:
- Miltonvale Park – Yoga program
- Parkdale School – FOCUS on Self Regulation
- PEI Community Navigator, East – Outdoor Family Friendly Circuit
- Town of Three Rivers- Play Aspire
- Town of Stratford- Fit Bench
- Morell Credit Union Rink- New to Skate
- Town of O’Leary- Girls on the Go
- Abegweit First Nation Mi’kmaq Wellness Center- Youth Mentoring Services
- Snowboard PEI – Little Riders
- Special Olympics PEI – Gymnastics Partnership Program
It is anticipated that applications will open again in spring 2021.
A working group has been established to help increase the Physical Literacy of Islanders. The group is led by Recreation PEI and includes members from Sport PEI, Parasport & Recreation PEI, Special Olympics PEI, the PEI Aboriginal Sport Circle, and the PEI Department of Health & Wellness- Sport, Recreation & Physical Activity Division.
This project has been made possible in part by the Government of Canada and the Government of Prince Edward Island.