Active and Safe PEI Program
“Supporting the enhancement of safety practices through education and awareness.”
Playgrounds are the most common and widely used recreation facilities in Island communities. They provide countless hours of enjoyment for our children to develop mentally, socially, and physically.
As owners and operators of these facilities you have a responsibility to ensure that you are providing the safest possible play environment for the children that use your equipment.
At least 29,000 children younger than 15 years of age receive treatment for playground injuries in hospital emergency departments each year in Canada¹.
The Canadian Standards Association [CSA] developed the nationally recognized standard for children’s play spaces and equipment. This standard specifies numerous design and maintenance criteria to reduce the risk and severity of injury.
Recreation PEI offers Playground Safety Inspections with the purpose of reducing the number of playground injuries by providing, at no charge, CSA inspections to day care centers and smaller municipalities that do not have a playground inspector on staff, and are members of Recreation PEI. To enquire about a membership to Recreation PEI call 902-892-6445.
Owner/Operator Safety Tips
- Choose equipment that is compliant with current CSA Standards.
- Always have impact-absorbing surface material under and around equipment.
- Make sure age appropriate signage is attached to each piece of equipment.
- Schedule regular maintenance visits to check for faulty equipment, debris and vandalism.
- Get your playground inspected by a CCPI for compliance with CSA Standards.
- Adopt a playground safety policy.
- Approximately 80% of all playground injuries are caused by falls to the surface.
- Children between the ages of 5 and 9 suffer over 50% of playground injuries.
- Playground injuries occur at school 36% of the time, at public parks 34.3% of the time and at home 18.8% of the time.
- There have been 18 playground related deaths in Canada between 1982 and 2002 (4 since 2002).